Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Unplugged: Page

I’m not sure what I was thinking when I picked this month’s Unplugged:  Page project.  It’s a good idea to teach your child to rip pages out of books?  A 3yo has the attention span to roll endless pages to make a wreath?

Regardless, we proceeded with our book page wreath.  I started out with two paper plates, thinking Esmé would make one and I’d make another, but I quickly changed course and settled for only one.  For starters, her picture book (a copy of a Magic School Bus book I had forgotten we already owned when I bought it secondhand) didn’t come close to covering one wreath, and secondly, she was wasn’t a whole lot of help in rolling up the pages for the wreath. 

(I love kid crafts, since I can blame the imperfection on the kiddyness of it – but it’s not so easy when I have to do the whole craft myself…)

Esmé was far more interested in making music with her paper “horns.”  Which I guess is a page project in and of itself.

But she DID help tape down the paper plate and supervise the hot gluing.P1020713 (2)

And she was happy to play lion with the wreath afterwards.
P1020720 (2)

It didn’t last long on the wall before falling off…
P1020722 (2)

…but it seems pretty comfortable on our dining table, and Esmé is quite happy to take ownership of the making of it now!
P1020745 (2)

2 comments:

ShEiLa said...

What a super cool wreath and craft. Love it!!!

ToOdLeS.

Anonymous said...

That is a really neat idea! You made me laugh about the teaching a 3 year-old to tear pages out of books, funny! Thanks so much for joining in the Unplugged Project again. I hope you had and Esmé had fun!