Thursday, August 22, 2013

W is for Worthy

Dear Miss Esmé,
 
You are wretched worthy.
 
You’ve been reading a picture book of hymns.  You tell me one of your favorites is “Amazing Grace,” and you’ve got it memorized.  I smile as you sing and mix up a few lines.
 
You started out just fine.  “Amazing grace, how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me.”
 
Wretch, huh?  Sweet little six-year-old you? :)
 
We’ve had a lot of discussions lately about God’s seeming contradictions.  How you will lose your life if you save it, but save your life if you lose it for His sake.  And so on.
 
This is another complicated one.  Complicated by all the moral lessons we adults try to teach you about “heroes of the faith” and biblical “role models.”  Yes, we want you to be good, kind, pure, honest, helpful, sharing.
 
But not because you want to be worthy of our love.  Of God’s love.  Simply because you are already loved.
 
God created you for an incredible purpose.  He is pursuing you at all cost, exactly as you are.  Just relax and let yourself be found by Him.
 
The more you strive to be worthy, the more wretched you are.  It’s when you realize your wretchedness that you are most worthy, most useful to God, ready for your finest hour.

The king of contradictions strikes again
You said the last to cross the finish line will win
And the beggars will be millionaires someday
And the humble ones are gonna have their say

Well all my friends are gone now
And all my money's gone now
And all my pride is gone now
And if what you say is true now
This will be my finest hour

Well everything is opposite down here
The strong survive and the rest just disappear
But your philosophy is more unique
You say I'll be stronger when I'm weak
This will be my finest hour

~ Matthew West lyrics

I love you, my amazing, beautiful, clever, dilly-dallying, energized, following, grace-filled, hidden, indomitable, Jericho-miracle, kidlet, loved, mirroring, named, one-of-a-kind, poor, quicksilvery, ransomed, snuggling, tough, useful, vibrant, worthy baby girl!
 
Your Mom
-------------------------
Each birthday, I write a letter to my baby girl.  This year, the year of the amazing 56-year-mark, I’ll be working from A to Z.
 
ABCLetters32

---------------

Enter to win Show Me How! Build Your Child’s Self-Esteem Through Reading, Crafting and Cooking by Vivian Kirkfield.

0 comments: