Friday, June 10, 2011

Happy Birthday, Maurice Sendak

June 10th is Maurice Sendak’s birthday

And what better way to celebrate the birthday of an author of children’s books than to head to the library and have a little reading fest of all his books?  So that is what we did…

I must admit, I’ve got mixed feelings about Sendak’s work.  I admire his imagination and creativity.  I don’t particularly appreciate the “spookier” side of it; the goblins that steal babies, etc.  So I’ll just say, “Read at your own risk.”

Where the Wild Things AreA side note:  I found it interesting that Sendak’s original plan with Where the Wild Things Are was actually Where the Wild Horses Are, but he found he wasn’t great at horse illustrations.  Personally, we would’ve liked horses better, but the book probably wouldn’t have been as memorable…

One book we did enjoy is Chicken Soup With Rice (except for October…).  In fact, we did a month-long calendar unit study last September with this book as the base.  I realize I haven’t posted about that yet – I’ll try to get it up sometime this weekend.

In the meantime, enjoy this rendition of Chicken Soup With Rice by Carole King:

1 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Happy Birthday Maurice!

Love this book... still need to see the movie. Aren't we lucky to have brilliant writers in this world?

ToOdLeS.