Sunday, January 13, 2013

Mission Sunday: Asante Choir

image

“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress.”  James 1:27

We started out our Christmas season in a most amazing way.  Way in this back neck of the woods, we somehow managed to be within driving distance of an Asante Choir performance.  And were we blessed…

Asante Choir

“Asante” – Swahili for “thank you.”  The choir is made up of children from East Africa, where thousands of children have been orphaned through civil war and genocide.  They are the voice for many more back home in need of support and education. 

It was a great way to step back from some of the materialistic messages of the season and realize what an amazing, caring God we have.  Watching these vibrant little faces, orphans with testimonies of a God who cares when no one else does… singing this song:

I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in his hands

I have a Father
He calls me His own
He'll never leave me
No matter where I go

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And He hears me when I call

~Tommy Walker

Lest you be worried this is simply a tear-jerking experience, let me assure you that these kiddos are virtuoso performers with perpetual smiles.  A lively choreography kept the crowd engaged, and it was a great cultural experience for Esmé and her cousin, who were captivated with the music.

Enjoying Asante

They are still on tour!  If you happen to be in the Arizona or Texas area, you can check out if they are coming your direction here:  Asante Choir West Coast Tour.

Here’s a rough video of their trademark song: