Friday, January 21, 2011

Review: Preschool Beginning Notebook Set 1

imageThis preschool product introduced a new concept for me – I’ve never worked with “notebook pages” before.  The idea is that you introduce several pages of material to the student in a notebook or report folder, reviewing regularly and replacing pages with new ones as the student is ready to move on.

This is similar to how we use our preschool bulletin board:  I post a memory verse, a song and/or poem, and other items related to whatever we are studying.  I replace items on the bulletin board as we’re ready to move on…

So, if you don’t have room for a bulletin board and/or need something portable that doesn’t take up a lot of room, notebook pages are certainly a way to go.
P1010519 (2)

This specific product from Gentle Shepherd is a collection of 15 pages covering letters, numbers, shapes, days of the week, a few songs, and a rhyming rebus page.


What We Liked:  I appreciated the instructions for using each specific page and for notebook pages in general, since this was a new concept.  It was fun for both my daughter and I to work with something a little different.
P1010518 (2)

I also enjoyed the graphics.  Hand-drawn and colored rather than flashy and computer-generated, there was something sweet and nostalgic in reviewing this product with my daughter.  It reminds me of the illustrations my mom used to make for me.

Esmé had no problem mastering the material in the book; it was good review, but it didn’t take us long to get through it.  I’d recommend this for a beginning preschooler or a child who is just starting to learn letters.


What We Didn’t Like:  The price seems a little steep for the number of pages in this set.


Rating:  Overall, I’ll give this a 4 out of 5. 

Thanks to Heart of the Matter for coordinating the review file of this product. 

You can currently acquire the notebook pages through CurrClick for $4.00

1 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds like a great tool. It may be something I can put together for JDaniel.