Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Review: Winter Fest

When I downloaded the Winter Fest game by Inglés 360°, I was a little surprised at how much there was to print for teaching such a simple concept as the colors white, black, and gray.

As I put together the material into a file folder game, my reservations fled.  This is such a cute product!

Here’s how it came together:  First I taped a page of cardstock into the middle of my folder so I would have four “pages” inside for four mats.  I glued graphics and a pocket for instructions on the front, and then two pockets for circle cards on the back.  One pocket had color/picture cards, while the other had English and Spanish word cards.

P1000763P1000769P1000764P1000766

We played this a few ways:  1) matching cards with their identical spot on the mats; 2) matching picture cards on the color mat or the word mat, etc.; and 3) a standard memory game – placing the cards face down and then matching color/picture/words. 

P1000a

In addition to this, there were two cut-and-paste worksheets covering the same concepts.

What I Liked:  The penguin graphic is adorable!  We will definitely be bringing the game back out when we study Antarctica later this year.

I enjoyed all the different variations covering the simple color topic.  The game options as we played them were progressively more difficult – a nice way to ease into things like Spanish words.

What I Didn’t Like:  I would have liked all of the words to be consistent with the English word mat – where “black” was in a black font, “grey” in a gray font, and “white” in an outlined font.  As it was – all the word cards and the Spanish mat were in black font only.

This next isn’t a dislike, just an FYI:  the spelling of “grey” may be an issue for some Americans.  Personally, I appreciate the international flavor!

Rating:  Overall, I’ll give this a  4 out of 5. 

Thanks to Heart of the Matter for coordinating the review file of this product.  You can currently acquire the printable file game through CurrClick for FREE!

3 comments:

Jodi said...

This looks like so much fun! Thanks for stopping by The Homeschool Desk to comment, please come back soon!

Michelle Smith said...

I love this lapbook set. Great photos!

Cheryl Pitt said...

So cute! That looks like fun!