Thursday, October 21, 2010


The Homeschool Village link-up today is on the topic of uniforms, and I thought we’d join in!  Consider this a Fashion Friday preview...

Personally, the idea of being caught in my jammies mid-day doesn’t appeal to me – and I feel most productive after getting showered and dressed. 

So that’s what’s first on my schedule, and in general I try to impose the same standards on my daughter – getting her out of her jammies fairly early in the day (and getting her hair up and out of her eyes for a few minutes).  We may have started “school” already – I’m schedule-challenged, so we insert school stuff wherever we can throughout the day – but usually by 10 a.m. or so the jammies have been shed.

However – she dresses herself and has full access to her clothes all day long, so I’m never sure what she is going to come out with – at any time of day.  We go through 2-3 outfits a day at least when we’re home.

During the summer, she changed swimming suits about 7 times a day – the number of swimming suits she owns.  Sometimes she runs around in a slip, or with a princess dress-up dress on top of her bathing suit.  She loves anything with a twirly skirt.  Lately she’s into stockings.  Today she picked out wearing a brown tank top with pink Hawaiian print shorts; other days, she insists on matching colors or sparkly shoes.  Black doesn’t match with ANYTHING, by the way.

I do impose a few standards – no jammies or plain slips outside, shoes are required outside, no underwear showing, a reasonable attempt to dress for the weather is mandated.

But that’s about it.  I look forward to watching Esmé’s individuality continue to manifest itself in her clothing choices!

Here’s a recent sample of a day’s uniform.  Wouldn’t YOU study better with swimming wings and flippers on, too?



Kela said...

Very stylish!
You're right, she does Rock tacky! Gotta love the individuality. It's their makeup!

ShEiLa said...

Lovely... just lovely.
I wonder if the uniform will catch on anywhere else???


Susan said...

So sweet! I have to little men, so it has been a delight to read of moms with little girls and their dressing antics each day! :) Adorable. Blessings! Susan from The Homeschool Village

Deb Chitwood said...

Great Fashion Friday preview! I LOVE the photo! It’s so much fun to see the way children express their individuality.

LaVonne said...


Thanks for sharing. :)

Happy Weekend!

melanie said...

Precious!! And why yes, I think I would study better with swimming wings and flippers! ;)

Jennifer said...

Too cute! I have one with a very "different" sense of style too. Both of my girls are definitely individuals in how they dress, but one definitely is WAY off the charts!