Saturday, October 23, 2010

Review: Fall Skip Counting Cards

I’ve been singing skip-counting songs with three-year-old Esmé, and when we’re in our groove, she can make it through the 5s and 10s – but I haven’t spent much time with her on written numbers past 20.

So we’ve been having fun with the Fall Themed Skip Counting Cards by Eastern Wind Academy, which includes 2s, 5s, and 10s sets – each through 100.  Esmé is fascinated with flipping the cards and checking out what the numbers look like.  It’s amazed me that she has the patience to go through the 2s all the way to 100 – another example of a review product that stretches her beyond what I would have thought to do.
P1000810

I cut out each set of cards and stuck them on the rings of a 3-ring binder.  They would probably be easier to flip through on a single ring, but I didn’t have any on hand, and the binder does keep them all together in one spot nicely.
P1000793

What I Liked:  These are exactly what you think you’ll be getting – a printable set of number cards with a fall-themed picture on them.  It’s the kind of thing you’d think you could put together easily enough on your own, but why bother when someone has already done it for you?!

Esmé in particular found the cards appealing, even though there was nothing pink about them!  Definitely a positive for this product.

What I Didn’t Like:  This is such a straight-forward basic product that it’s hard to dislike anything.

One thing I might do differently on the page layout:  Have all the cards connected  rather than with white space between.  This way, I would only have to make one cut between the cards, rather than two.

Also, there was a duplicate “60” card in the 10 set.  Not a significant issue, just something I caught as I was putting the folder together…

Rating:  Overall, I’ll give these a  3.5/5. 

Thanks to Heart of the Matter for coordinating the review file of this product.  You can currently acquire the printable cards through CurrClick for $0.75.

0 comments: