Thursday, February 11, 2010

Review: Love Your Heart

Mommy hasn't asked me to do a book review in a while, so I've got lots to say about this one!

Let's start with the basics... Love Your Heart is written by Tim McGraw and Tom Douglas. It's published by Thomas Nelson and has a list price of $16.99. This 32-page hardcover is targeted for ages 4-10, and it's perfect for me! Click here to see a sample of the pages...

Here's how the publisher describes the book:

The second book in Tim McGraw’s My Little Girl series is a heartwarming story of a little girl’s selfless act of kindness.

Tim McGraw and songwriter Tom Douglas once again join forces to write another book about the precocious Katie and her dad. Katie has many talents, but she wonders which one will win her school’s talent show. With the help of Dad and her faithful dog Palio, and after several amusing mishaps, Katie finally chooses one talent that includes Palio. But at the talent show, she decides to drop out of the contest to help her friend, showing kindness is the best talent of all. Katie’s proud dad reassures her that she did the best thing and that while he loves many things about her, he loves her heart most of all.
Here's what I've got to say about the book (Mommy's words in bold):

Whose book is this? It's MY book!

What is it about?
It's about HER daddy. Katie's daddy? Yeah.

MY daddy gives me time time out when I'm being naughty. MY daddy gives me kisses and MY daddy gives me timeout and MY daddy says to me, "Good night!"

Does your daddy say "Good morning," too, like Katie's daddy? Yeah, and "good night!"

Does your daddy cook for you, like Katie's daddy? Yes. What dos he cook? He makes corn and he gives me Oatmeal Squares when we get up, and I have Oatmeal Squares and juice because I follow daddy into the kitchen.

Do you have talents like Katie? Yes. Gingerbread men and sand. I can dance with my dress on.

Do you have a dog like Palio? No. What DO you have? A kitty cat!

Can you teach your kitty cat tricks like Palio? No. He can scratch Daddy's kiss. His kiss? Yeah, his kiss. What's a kiss? I'll give you one... [SMOOCH]

Those are puddles! Do you like puddles? No. But you stomp in them all the time when you have your boots on. Yeah.

Why is [Katie's friend] Sophie sad? Because she's been holding the jump rope like this and jumping, and she hurt her hand and her mommy wasn't there.

You are not a dog, because you are my mommy.

Now Katie is helping [Sophie]. And Palio is helping her, too!

What talent did Katie show? Her dad and Sophie and the teacher. No, talents are something you can do, like cartwheels or painting. Her daddy said her talent was showing kindness. So her talent was helping [Sophie] do jump rope!

What happens next? Sophie gets the crown. She will give it to Katie so she can keep it.

Does YOUR daddy say you have a kind heart? He really does love me. Because I like him. He loves my heart.

Do you show kindness? No. You don't have a kind heart? No, only a sand heart, because I make hearts out of sand. I SHARE!

Do you like the pictures in the book? Yeah.

Do you like this book? Yeah.

What do you like about this book? Katie and Katie's daddy and Palio.

Mommy's Notes

She DID have a lot to say about this one! We'll still have to work on the concept of "talents" and "kindness," but this book is providing a good start to the discussion...

An uplifting story that highlights a great father-daughter relationship, and lots of illustrations featuring an exuberant girl in a pretty pink dress with a crown, make this a definite winner of a book in our house.

Thanks to Thomas Nelson for the review copy of this book, and to MamaBuzz for organizing this tour.

1 comments:

Ticia said...

That looks like a great book, I'll have to see if I can find it.