I need another project like a hole in my head. Yet the ideas keep thundering in my head in maddening crescendo. Can I do this? I'd like to give it a shot.
The feedback I got from last week's Zimbabwe post made me realize two things. First, most people don't know about the Zimbabwean tragedy. And second, when they do become aware of it, many of them want to do something about it.
So I've been thinking. The blogosphere is a powerful place, as proven by the whole Motrin excitement. What about hosting a 2-week giveaway to promote awareness of the Zimbabwean tragedy and to provide assistance to the Zimbabwean people? We'd have between 7-14 African-themed gifts, and between 7-14 guest posts or interviews with people on the Zimbabwean frontlines and with NGOs providing charitable assistance in Zimbabwe.
Having never done a giveaway before, this brings up all kinds of questions. So I am turning to you for advice on things like:
- Are there any how-tos or step-by-step instructions already out there on doing a giveaway?
- What types of giveaways are the most popular?
- Who are the "must-notify" people when promoting a giveaway?
- What is a reasonable goal for number of hits per day? I'd like to give an idea to the people I'd be approaching to do guest posts.
- When you're entering a giveaway, what rules work best for you and what rules just plain irritate you?
- Any sites or programs you recommend for randomly generating a winner?
- Any other advice or lessons learned from your own giveaways?
- Any advice on timing? I will be on forced bloggy break most of December, which means the earliest I could pull this off would be February 1st. So I could play on Valentine's Day by calling it something like "Operation Love Zimbabwe." Or are things too busy then; should I rather wait until after Valentine's Day?
- So yes, I need a name for the giveaway. Any ideas?
- Design of a button for the giveaway. (I'd take a whole blog design for the giveaway, too, if anyone were to offer!)
- African-themed items for giving away. Books, art, crafts, jewelry, music, games, toys, food, etc. I bet there's even African scents and chocolate out there. And if you know any vendors who might be willing to contribute, let me know. I'll have several items of my own to give away, but the more the merrier!
And I did mention I'll be on bloggy break during December, a time when I want to build up readership rather than lose it if I want to pull this giveaway off. So I'm also opening the floor to any guest posters. If you're interested in providing a guest post, please let me know! (You don't have to have a blog to do a guest post. Hint hint several people.) Ideas for posts include:
- Travel or international or missions flavored posts.
- Kid-friendly Christmas or winter crafts or ideas.
- Just generally funny or thought-provoking or interesting parenting stories.
- Oh, and you can have your kid write the post, too...
Thanks in advance for all your comments and emails! (My email address is on my blogger profile. Just click on "About Me" on my sidebar. )Oh yes, for those who have asked: my husband did finally get a hold of me on Friday. His cell phone has no signal except close to the border, so with being so busy and all, he wasn't able to call until then... It was wonderful to know he was okay! And if things go according to the latest plan, he's coming home tomorrow.