Friday, September 12, 2008

Goodbye, Hello

This was a sad week. My Oupa left me and went back home on Tuesday. I cried and cried as he was getting in the car and riding away. He did leave me with lots of beautiful shells that I love to play with.

But yesterday Grandma finally arrived! We went to the airport and watched her climb down the plane steps and waited and waited and waited and waited for her to get her luggage and get through customs. I smiled and smiled at her, and she sat next to me on the drive home and made me smile some more! We are having lots of fun together! And Grandpa is glad she is here, too.

On another note, I wanted to share some photos of me and Daddy and Mavinga. Remember Mavinga, our gardener's 4-year-old son whose mother died last month? His auntie was looking after him during the day, but he ran away one day. We prayed for him and were so happy to see his daddy carrying him into our yard later that day.

So he comes to work with his daddy most every day. He helps to pick up leaves from under the trees, and sometimes I help, too. And Ms. Cathrine plays with us outside most mornings. Sometimes we do school in my craft room together. He loves to play with my balls and dolls and talks up a storm, even though Mommy and Daddy can't understand what he is saying. I am teaching him words in English like "ball" and "doll," and Mommy guesses he's teaching me some words in his language, too.

6 comments:

dani said...

oh, j...
thank goodness mavinga came back home!!! did he leave because he was missing his mommy??? i cannot even imagine.
esme, i bet oupa is missing you bunches; it had to have broken his heart to see you crying as he left. but, i am thrilled that your grandma is there now; grandmas always turn frowns upside down:) have fun with her!!!
love,
dani

Pam said...

You are raising your daughter to have such a large, loving, caring heart. There is no better gift to her and the world!

April said...

He looks like a very sweet, special boy.

Anonymous said...

What a cutie. I am so glad they found him!

Anonymous said...

He looks like a joy of a child! I'm glad he's back.

Kori said...

How terrifying; so glad he is back safe!