Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Change of Pace

Life is fun.  And frenetically busy.  I spent yesterday spastically deleting 800 emails from all the way back through October – which had already been screened as something I needed to follow up on.  I am now trying to soothe my guilt complex.  Not that that has anything to do with anything.  But I DO think it is time for a brief escape from reality.  And routine – what little there is of it.

While homeschooling for a 4yo is pretty much all fun, I’ve been thinking of what we do when we need a break.  Here are some surefire winners at our house:

  1. Tea party.  Or indoor picnic.  Esmé has been BEGGING for this lately, so I should probably add it to our list of unplanned spontaneous activities for the week.  We haven’t had one since our Happy Birthday Jesus tea party when Grandpa and Grandma were here for Christmas.P1050644
  2. Holiday celebration.  Every day is a special day of some sort!  It’s fun to celebrate Raggedy Ann Day, or Yo-Yo Day, or Rocky Road Day – and throw in some educational tidbits as well.  I was just checking out February’s calendar ideas from Homeschool Share – some sweet ideas there.
  3. Read.  I’ll ask Esmé to pick out 5 picture books for us to read together, and hopefully one of them will trigger a craft idea, food, etc. that we can work on together.
  4. Plug in.  Sometimes it’s cool to just start meandering through YouTube videos on a certain topic.  Or work on a Pinterest board together.  There is such a thing as quality unproductive time together… :)
  5. Unplug.  I’ve got a bookshelf full of resources such as Unplugged Play by Bobbi Conner.  Sometimes I’ll grab the book off the shelf, flip through the pages, and we’ll do whatever my eyes land on.
  6. Art.  Even if it’s just be pulling out the tempera paints and putting a blank page on the easel.
  7. Hunts.  Scavenger hunts, photo hunts, treasure hunts – it’s all good.
  8. ABC Exercise Cards.  These ABC Exercise Cards are a great standby of ours when we’re needing to let off a little steam. 

So, what do you all do when you’re in a rut? 

0 comments: