Monday, May 7, 2012

Q is for Quicksilver

You are quicksilver.
Just like the metal that doesn’t want to act like a metal, that remains fluid through the harshest conditions, you resist conformity, rigidity.  Schedules.  Confinement.  Routines.
Try to pin you down to get dressed, to study, to do a lesson, to work through a workbook, to brush your teeth, and you slip through my fingers faster than I can say “quicksilver.” 
I hunt through the house and find you in a corner, dressing your Barbie, putting a puzzle together, piecing together the words of a picture book.  All perfectly good things, but nowhere near what I wanted or expected you to be doing.
You love your freedom.  And when I try to force your conformity to my will, you fight to do otherwise with every fiber in your being.
Love is like quicksilver in the hand.  Leave the fingers open and it stays.  Clutch it, and it darts away.  ~Dorothy Parker
You are only mine for a moment, little girl.  You are growing so quickly; let me hold you in my arms just a little while longer…
It's only for a moment you are mine to hold
The plans that heaven has for you
Will all too soon unfold
So many different prayers I'll pray
For all that you might do
But most of all I'll want to know
You're walking in the truth
And if I never told you, I want you to know
As I watch you grow
I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams
And that faith gives you the courage
To dare to do great things
I'm here for you whatever this life brings
So let my love give you roots
And help you find your wings
  ~ Mark Harris lyrics
Quicksilver
I love you, my amazing, beautiful, clever, dilly-dallying, energized, following, grace-filled, hidden, indomitable, Jericho-miracle, kidlet, loved, mirroring, named, one-of-a-kind, poor, quicksilvery baby girl!
Your Mom
-------------------------
Each birthday, I write a letter to my baby girl.  This year, the year of the amazing 5-year-mark, I’ll be working from A to Z.
 

0 comments: