Monday, November 28, 2011

Holiday Recipe for the Cruise: Butternut Rolls

In case you think I’ve been baking lately, I haven’t.  Though I’ve got lots of shredded zucchini in the freezer, packaged in 2-cup portions, ready to make bread at a moment’s notice.

But, since the TOS Cruise ship is in the holiday recipe port, I thought I’d dig up an old successful recipe – a reminder that I actually CAN cook… 

Wanting to add a bit of color to your holiday meal?  Trying to sneak veggies into your carb-loving kids’ diets?  Or just needing to use up the leftover butternut squash? 

Without further ado, here is our recipe for the much-acclaimed melt-in-your-mouth Butternut Rolls:

image

Put the following ingredients into your bread machine, liquids first

  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup warm milk
  • 2/3 cup mashed, cooked butternut squash
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 package active dry yeast

Run the bread machine on dough cycle.  When dough is ready, cut into 32 pieces (keep cutting in half 5 times).  Form into rolls and place on greased pan (I use an extra large pizza pan).  Let rise 30 minutes.  Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.

1 comments:

Blossom Barden (NorthLaurel) said...

Thanks for the recipe. Although we don't have any squash in our house, those rolls look wonderful and make me want to get some :)
Thanks again!