Sunday, August 8, 2010

Tot School: Humpty Dumpty

preschool cornerTot School abc button
This week we wrapped up our Humpty Dumpty theme – ideas thanks to Itty-Bitty Bookworm

Our books (I loved them all):
The video clip I watched over and over:
My very favorite thing to do this week:  act out The True Story of Humpty Dumpty while Mom read!  First we used a stuffed Humpty I made out of paper (two ovals stapled together), stuffing, and brads to connect the arms and legs.  Then I acted it out with ME being Humpty – on a wall of pillows!

I made a lot of Humptys.  Here’s one I made out of shapes that Mom cut out of construction paper.

Here’s another one – Mom drew an egg on the easel paper, and then I drew in the face and a crack.  I bandaged up the crack with band-aids!

I drew a Humpty face on a real egg, too.

And I tried to put Humpty together again with glue.  First we put egg shells in a ziploc bag with a few drops of food coloring, and I crushed and smushed them up.  Then we laid them on a paper towel to dry.  Then I painted an oval shape with glue, put the eggshell pieces on the glue, and painted some more glue on top of it all!  Not quite like the original…

I made a pet rock Humpty with egg and chick stickers.

I did some upper/lowercase matching with plastic egg halves in my sensory bin.

I practiced cutting a zig zag shape on a paper egg.

I made a crown with glitter glue so I could be king of all the horses and men…
DSC01400 DSC01406

I practiced “reading” my very own Humpty book.  (Excuse the name – I’ve been practicing my trademark signature of both Es facing inwards, so some of the other letters get rushed…)

I did story sequencing with these sentence strips.

I put puzzles together, kinda like putting a Humpty together.

And I worked on my writing skills with some Humpty words, like “wall.”

I practiced carrying an egg around in a spoon.  This is harder than it looks!

And I cracked and fried myself an egg to eat!  (I put green food coloring in it, too – cuz I LOVE green eggs and ham…)


Giggly Girls said...

what a great theme! I especially loved how she put the bandaids on the cracks.

Terra said...

What a great theme! Ya'll had so many great activities that ya'll did. We love them all. She is such a doll!

Kristen said...

What a variety of activities and a busy week from just one little nursery rhyme! Great creativity

melanie. said...

these are such great activities - i love the crushed egg shells to put humpty back together again! and, of course, the bandaids! what kid doesn't love bandaids!

Joyful Housewife said...

Sweet pics! Looks like you had fun! =0)

Thank you for following me via GFC. I am following you back! =0)

Have a great week.


Marina said...

This is amazing! I am just getting started homeschooling my 3.5 year old and your blog has really inspired me :)

carly@LearningParade said...

You have been very busy! Must order Little Lumpty from the library, it looks good! :)

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

What fun ideas! I am sure your daughter loved this week. I'll be featuring you on Tot Tuesdays tomorrow. I hope you'll stop by and grab some bling for your blog. Have a great week!