Monday, June 29, 2009

Mission Sunday

4-year-old Kaleb Roberts in Tchad...

What is it about tragedy that draws us to particular blogs? When news of a child's sickness or death pops up in a blog, I know I'm as drawn as the next person to the story.

There's a sense of empathy, of course. What can I do to help? And there's an almost secret sense of gratitude - for the baby in my house who is healthy and well. And the lesson to enjoy each moment I have with her.

I think the main thing for me, though, is the desire for a happy ending. I love happy endings. And even in the midst of tragedy, it seems there is always a silver streak running through. The strength of human spirit. The comfort and peace provided by God at just the right moment. And the promise of a truly happy ending one of these days... I want to stick around the story long enough to see the happy ending.

Today's featured blog recently dealt with tragedy. Little Kaleb, 4-year-old son of volunteer missionaries Gary and Wendy Roberts, passed away unexpectedly on June 10 from malaria complications. James Appel, the doctor at the scene in Tchad, writes about the experience in the Béré Adventist Hospital blog. Here you can read about the tragedy, the funeral, and the question - why does one make it and the other not?

I've been fascinated with all there is to read on this mission blog, so do yourself a favor and explore a little while visiting.

And if you'd like to help the Roberts family, you can donate funds for flight tickets for them. They are hoping to join Gary's parents in Indonesia and then furlough in the US. Send a check to Gospel Outreach International with a memo indicating it is for Gary and Wendy Robert’s ‘Kaleb memorial’. Monies received above the cost of the tickets will be used to help Wendy build a children’s nutrition clinic in Tchad, in honor of Kaleb. You may send this to:

Gospel Outreach International
PO Box 506
Collegdale, TN 37315
http://www.gospelministry.org/

The Roberts' family...Here's to a SOON happy ending...
Tuesday's Tribute

10 comments:

Pamela said...

This is the grandson of my life long friend Jan.

Mikki said...

What a beautiful post. So sweet and tender.

What a tender heart you have!!

Glad to know you are going to be doing the book reviews too. It's a great group to be a part of and a great way to get good books to read - free too!!

Blessings

Debra Kaye said...

Esme,

Thank you for this post. I will be praying for this family. Thank you for the prayers you encouraged me with during my hospital stay and now while I'm recuperating.

Big hugs to you, sweet one.

grammy said...

I knew I had read about this somewhere else... then I saw Pamela's comment and remembered where. What a terrible thing. My daughter lived in Afghanistan for 3 years and had a big health scare while there. I am so thankful she is OK now. I will check out the links.

Jenny said...

How heart breaking. I will keep this family in my thoughts and prayers.

Laski said...

I don't really have words--except to say thank you for sharing this.

And wishing, praying for a happy ending.

Madeline said...

I too am praying for a happy ending. My eyes filled with tears as I read through the links. The faithfulness through it all is amazing.

Claremont First Ward said...

Oh, what a tragedy. YOu did an amazing job writing about what it is that draws us to stories about tragedy....I always want a happy ending too....praying for them.

Amy said...

Thanks for sharing this. My heart goes out to the family. As you said, I wish for a happy ending also.

TheAtticGirl said...

Oh wow, that brought tears to my eyes. I will pray for that family.

http://atticgirl.blogspot.com/2009/06/tuesday-tribute-for-my-friend-who-wants.html