Thursday, February 5, 2009

OLZ A Candle

When we were in London at the beginning of January, we visited the magnificent St. Paul's Cathedral. Music of the Sung Eucharist echoed throughout. There was something wonderfully worshipful in the grand old building.
One of the greeters found a card especially for me, and I held tightly on to it the rest of the evening until we arrived back at the hotel. I wouldn't let anyone take it from me, no matter how cold my hand got. Here I am on the steps of the cathedral, holding tight!

Here is what the card said:

Jesus said

'I AM THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD.
NO FOLLOWER OF MINE SHALL WALK
IN DARKNESS.'

A candle is a reminder
it recalls Jesus, the one true light,
whom the darkness could not extinguish.

A candle is a parable
burning itself out, it gives light to others.

A candle is a symbol
it speaks of light, hope, warmth and love.

A candle is a sign
it reminds us of the prayers of God's people.

Jesus said

'LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE'

It's hard to know what to do about the things happening in Zimbabwe. We can write to our government representatives to pressure them to do something. We can donate money to the aid organizations working there. We can volunteer our time to go. We can pray.
And we can light a candle.

Today, let's light a candle. And then go and light our world...

A song by Kathy Trocolli to motivate you:


And a song by Hillsong to get you moving - this is my favorite!

6 comments:

Becky said...

Very beautiful and inspiring.

ShEiLa said...

I am sure that unless you know about something that needs fixing... you definitely will not get it fixed.

The Zimbabwe dilema is a huge one. However, you are doing what you can by spreading the word. That is of vital importance... that way together maybe we can make a difference.

I have many favorite scriptures but this is one of mine.

Matt 5:16
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

ps. thank you for another inspiring post. a great way to start my day.

ibeeeg said...

What a great post.
I loved what the card read. Have copied down to re-read...

A great reminder to go forth and light our world!

Beck said...

I loved this post - people who work at bringing something good into this world are wonderful.
Thanks so much for commenting on my post today!

Anonymous said...

enjoyed the poem. We spent a Saturday afternoon there in 2003. Liturgical parts of worship can be very meaningful. Thanks for your blog. Vikki

Anonymous said...

Oh I love it....and I love how Esme wouldn't let go of her card either. She can't read..but she knew it was special and it was hers.