Wednesday, January 28, 2009

WFMW - "T" Crafts

We had a terrific time with "T" activities this week! And that's even without getting to tee painting and Twister and tornados and triangles like I wanted to do. So here are the activities that worked for this 21-month-old...

Treasure Hunt. Mommy gave me four things to look for, like the tub and a tree. Sometimes she had to point me in the right direction, but I always found it! The last thing I found was Papa's shoe, and inside it was a wooden train! I got to paint the train...

Train. Speaking of trains, Mommy helped me put together this little one. We put all my animals in the cars (chairs), and the sheep and I rode in the caboose while we sang "chug chug chug chug choo choo choo choo." It looks a little empty cuz almost all my toy animals are in Africa.

Tulle. Mommy had a roll of purple tulle on hand, so I draped it around myself and made a tutu for my Kelly doll. It's fun cuz you can see through it!

Tags. We made ten tags out of index cards. Mommy found some rubber stamps at a thrift store for $0.99, and she colored them with markers while I stamped them onto blank index cards. Then she cut two corners to make the cards look like tags, and we cut a hole in them and put tulle through the hole. She still wants to add some witty sayings to the tags, and then we'll have tags to use on gifts. By the way, we've already started using them as bookmarks.
Tea Party. Mommy never did find the perfect little teacups and teapot while shopping this week, but we had a tart 'n' tea party anyways! My tea was cooled down with fruit juice and tasted pretty good - enough for one sip, anyways... The fruit tarts were yummy, except I dumped all the fruit off of them. Who needs fruit?



Trash Bebe. This activity was entirely my own invention! I found a trash bin and showed Mommy how cool I looked with it on. Fortunately it was empty.
Turtle. We made a turtle shell out of a paper bag with markers and tried to get Kitkat (aka Flame) to model it. He wasn't a very good model, though - he kept trying to hide in his shell. Guess that means he was a good turtle!

Tiger. Mommy asked me to make a tiger mask out of a paper plate. She brought out my toy tiger to give me an idea of what to draw. But rather than draw it, I wanted to trace it, so that's what I did!
Then we turned the plate around and did the tiger mask. See that really great circle I drew around the plate? When it was done, I held it up and showed Mommy how tigers grrrrrr.
Tracing. Speaking of tracing, I LOVE to trace my hands and feet and head and whole body! Here is a hand tracing we did - I had Mommy do it in three different colors cuz it was so much fun. (If you're wondering, we are studying about being helpers at my church class.)
Tennis. I watched lots of tennis on television while we were at Eagle Crest. Here I am, table tennis bat in hand.
And here I am demonstrating my game. Though I have more of a golf style, to be honest.
Textured T. We've read a lot about sandpaper letters and even sand glued to make letters, but we didn't have any sand this week. So we made textured Ts from glitter glue. We also made some glitter glue trees and all the letters in my name, too! After it dried, we taped everything on the wall at my eye level so I could trace the letters with my fingers.
Tub. Tub time is so much fun! Here I am in the jetted tub at Eagle Crest.
Telephone. I LOVE things with buttons like telephones! I try to make calls all the time, and now that I can climb, there's nowhere that's out of reach! Though this week all I got were recordings and busy signals. Nobody wants to talk to me! Toes. What would "T" week be without some toe art? Mommy didn't let me have her nail polish, so I had to use markers instead - once again a project of my OWN initiative...
Toothpick Tree. I love poking toothpicks and craft sticks into styrofoam things, so we decided to make a tree this week. We couldn't find any cone-shaped styrofoam, so we just used a styrofoam cup. And we used toothpicks with little frills at the end, mostly green. It was so much fun I made two trees...
So there you have it - the activities that worked for me this week! By the way, we're gonna be zipping to "Z" for next week in honor of Operation Love Zimbabwe, but we'll be back to finish the rest of our letters - don't you worry!

----------------
If you have a post or link related to "T" Activities for toddlers, link up here!

23 comments:

Jennifer said...

Each week I am so impressed with what you are doing with your Mommy. I hope that I can make learning the alphabet as much fun for Charlotte!

Unknown said...

What a great post. Love it! Especially the train - I remember doing that when I was a kid, too. Smiles!

Damselfly said...

Everything looks like great fun, but I especially love the train and the tulle tags. Your KitKat is so cute!

Madeline said...

Those are all such good ideas. Very creative. Love the textured letters. What a cutie your little lady is!!

ShEiLa said...

I look forward to seeing what you will post next. Especially when it comes the [letter of the day]. So many photos of [T] things...Esmé seeing you always makes me smile.
ToOdLeS.ShEiLa

Anonymous said...

Great ideas! And look at all the stuff you've done! Yay!

Heidi Boos said...

Your mommy is always so creative with your letter activities and you look like you are always having fun!! What a lucky little girl you are. I can't wait to get started with this with my little one...I think it's about time!

Prasti said...

looked like you had busy day! what fun to do crafts with your mama.

i like your toe art! and i also like the pretty dress shoes you have on while you were painting your train.

Richard Lawry said...

What a lot of activities. What do you do in your spare time? Spending time interacting with their kids is the best thing parents can do.

An Arkie's Musings

Debra Kaye said...

Oh Esme,

The telephone is already mastered huh? lol

Loved the "T" crafts, sweet one! Sending you a great big hug from Florida!

Blessings to you!

Pamela said...

I am soooooooooo tired just seeing all the activities that your mommy planned (or not) with you.

You are, indeed, a blessed little girl.

ps. I would have eaten the blueberries!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

You have a wonderfully creative and patient mommy. I bet my kids would like to come over and play for awhile, although they're quite a bit older. Shoot, I'd like to come over and play for awhile!

Love your Scooby shirt. He's a staple around here.

peace~elaine
PS: Tell your mom I'm praying for her. It's not always easy being creative and patient at the same time.

Debbie said...

Look how clever you are! What great T activities.

Restless Ink said...

Have you thought about putting all your crafts in a book?? I would totally buy it!!! I've printed out your activities, but a book form would be much nicer!

Wendelyn DeMoss said...

Wow! You looked like you were having so much fun. What a wonderful mommy, I love the train!!
You will have such rich language with mommy providing all of that vocabulary!!! This speech pathologist is incredibly impressed!! Tah-Tah!! :)

Anonymous said...

wow what a great great week!!!!

Laski said...

Mama comes up with some of the BEST ideas ever!!! I am printing this out so I remember activities I can do with J. He still eats markers and crayons, but there are moments he sorta figures out what they can do (and actually stops gnawing on them).

Mama wows me, and so do you!!!

dani said...

esme, you are growing up so quickly; really, you are looking more like a gorgeous little girl in this post than a beautiful baby girl!!! it seems, indeed, like you've changed a little over-night!!!
i love all your "t" things but am totally surprised that the neither the Toilet nor Toilet paper were involved, ha!!! i'm looking very forward to "z" things next week!!!
much love and a BIG hug,
dani X

Anonymous said...

What fun ideas!! I have to do that train idea. Hailey would LOVE it!!

Nell said...

She has a blast as your daughter! I can just tell.

:--) Nell
CasualFridayEveryday.com
Twitter.com/casualeveryday

Pamela said...

What "Teeee"rific week you had! Love the train idea and the toothpick tree.

Amy Clary said...

I love the toothpick tree and the train ideas.
Great tips!

Springer said...

I look forward to seeing what you will post next. Especially when it comes the [letter of the day]. So many photos of [T] things...Esmé seeing you always makes me smile. ToOdLeS.ShEiLa