Sunday, November 1, 2009

H Adventures

Tot School We had a hoppin' and happy H week! With lots of hangin' around the house watching movies, too.

Here are some of the happenings...

Sorry, Firefox users, that the pictures float around - they match up with text in IE.
Lapbook: House.

Song.
Book.
  • Sunflower House by Eve Bunting (a favorite).
Food.

  • Hot dogs
Science.
  • We built a house with lincoln logs.
Physical Activity.

  • I helped Pappa hammer on my school house!
Adventures...
I made a house painting with craft sticks...
And a house with do a dot markers...
We looked through magazines for pictures of things that go "in my house" to paste in this booklet.
And of course our lapbook! The front is a block letter H with holes punched out of it - I am learning to use the hole puncher!
The inside of the lapbook includes an "H" minibook, a heart minibook, a handprint flap with numbered fingers, a "Clap your hands" flap, and sign language cards.
Here's the lapbook with some of the flaps open.
And the back page is an "H" house I colored and poured glue all over.
Plus, we watched Heidi.
Animal: Horse (with a little Hippopotamus thrown in).

Song.

Book.
  • All the Pretty Little Horses: A Traditional Lullaby illustrated by Linda Saport (a favorite).
  • Calico the Wonder Horse or the Saga of Stewy Stinker by Virginia Lee Burton (I liked making up my own story to the pictures...).
Food.

  • Haystacks! Mommy made these with chow mein noodles
Science.
  • We listened to "hoofbeats" by laying our heads on the table and feeling the vibrations as Mommy thumped on the table.
  • And we took some carrots and apples to feed the neighbor horses, but we couldn't find any within reach...
Physical Activity.

  • I rode my hobby horse around and around the house at a gallop!
Adventures...
Here are some wood horses I colored at day care:
I did hat stuff... I put stickers on a felt hat Mommy got from the dollar store - I picked the pink one, of course.
And we played a hat matching game! Kind of like Bingo. I'm learning that 3 markers in a row wins the game, but I still like to play it until we've filled up ALL the spaces, not just the 3 in a row...
Seasonal: Harvest.

Song.

Book.
  • I Know It's Autumn by Eileen Spinelli (a favorite).
Food.

  • We had great plans to make a pumpkin cake. It's still on our to-do list!
Science.
  • If you hammer leaves between white paper or cloth, the dye in the leaves will stain the cloth!
Physical Activity.

  • We harvested grapes from our vines. Actually, I ran around the yard while Mommy picked grapes. Then she made grape juice and canned it. We still have tons of grapes to harvest. Come on over, please!
  • And we did an outdoor hunt! Here are six things I had to find. The feather was the hardest, but we found them all!
Adventures...
We started on Thanksgiving decorations - leaves and pumpkins...
...and wall clings.
And Mommy and I colored a pumpkin minibook.
Country: Holland.

Song.

Book.
  • Frogs in Clogs by Sheila White Samton (a favorite).
  • The First Tulips in Holland by Phyllis Krasilovsky.
  • Home Windmills by Cherese Cartlidge (we looked at the pictures for Science).
Food.
  • Windmill cookies with spreadable icing.
Science.
  • My pinwheel windmills are packed away, or we would have played with those. Instead, we spun our arms like windmills and looked through the windmill book. And we folded and dropped whirlybird helicopters out of paper.
Physical Activity.

  • Hopscotch of sorts. We wanted to do hula hoops, but couldn't find any...
Adventures...
Here's a tulip craft I did at daycare...
And we watched the movie Hans Brinker.
Food/Bible: Hands, Hungry, Half.

Song.

  • Clap Your Hands, All Ye People.
Book.
  • The Wonder of Hands by Edith Baer.
  • Magical Hands by Marjorie Barker Yoshi.
  • Here Are My Hands by Bill Martin Jr. and John Achambault (a favorite).
  • One Hungry Monster: A Counting Book in Rhyme by Susan Heyboer O'Keefe (another favorite).
  • The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle (always a favorite).
  • In My Heart by Molly Bang (yet another favorite).
  • Peek! A Thai Hide-and-Seek by Mintong Ho (a final favorite!).
Food.

  • Happy face crackers with peanut butter, cream cheese, and raisins. Though I pick all the raisins off when I eat them.
  • Half pizzas out of whole wheat half pitas. I got to sprinkle the cheese on!
Science.
  • We compared hard and soft things...
  • And high and low things...
  • And hot and cold things!
  • We also read up on how the body works to make us feel hungry.
Physical Activity.

  • Hopping
  • And lots of hide and seek! I love to count and say "Ready or Not!" But sometimes it's hard to find Pappa's hiding spots...
Adventures...

I made some handprints on a page with a poem:
Sometimes you get discouraged
Because I am so small
And always leave my fingerprints
On furniture and walls.

But every day I'm growing -
I'll be grown up someday
And all those tiny handprints
Will surely fade away.

So here's a final handprint
Just so you can recall
Exactly how my fingers looked
When I was very small.

--Frances Meyer

And we watched Handel's Last Chance - a very good movie that we recommend if you haven't seen it already.

We are involved with "I" now...

You may have caught that we won an Itty Bitty Bookworm curriculum, and Mommy is itching to start with it, but she's decided to investigate things further - try to acquire all the recommended stuff first - and hopefully get it started in my brand new school house with all the trimmings! So the goal is January 1st, and we'll hang in there with the pared down alphabet school and lots of holiday stuff until then...
----------------
If you have a post or link related to "H" Activities for toddlers, link up here!

4 comments:

Basia - United Teaching said...

You did so many creative activities! We really enjoy doing nature activities and I really like your scavenger hunt. I hope you don't mind, but I might use your idea of finding nature objects. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

Wow you have so many wonderful H activities! I love the hand poem at the end very cute :0)

Amy said...

These are great...

ShEiLa said...

Do you think little girls pick pink all on their own? I am not sure... I think we as parents condition them alot. Pink is for girls.... blue is for boys.

I love the handprints. I have that exact poem here at my house of my oldest daughters tiny hands.... you will love having this keepsake forever.

ToOdLeS.